[Coral-List] A Plea To Stay On Topic

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu May 20 15:54:21 EDT 2010

Hi Julian,
  Your perspective is well supported. The fact that there seems to be
a spontaneous increase in the number of postings related to energy policy,
climate change and the BP oil blowout should be viewed as a progressive
development, not something worthy of constraint. I would ask how these
issues could not be conceived as directly relating to coral reef science?
Are scientists so narrowly focused on their specific research fields that
they fail to see the bigger picture?
  If the dynamics of the current disaster doesn’t energize listers to
reexamine our overall energy mix along with the related issue of climate change,
nothing will. More and more people are urging scientists to take advantage of
their high standing among public figures to advocate for much needed change..
We certainly can not leave it to political figures who are highly influenced
by institutionalized special interests to lead the way.
  We may not be able to instantaneously shift the course to our energy future,
but we have to move to change the current trajectory before it is too late.
Just yesterday, the National Academy of Sciences issued it’s strongest warning
to date, stating that the “U.S. should act now to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
and develop a national strategy to adapt to the inevitable impacts of climate change.” (http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=05192010)

If we don’t act soon, coral reef scientists may leave behind only a legacy of missed opportunities.

And to Glenn “MC” Diver, this is not a “Save the Reefs" statement.
No one is preventing you from remaining free to form your own opinions.

Regards,
Steve