[Coral-List] Aquatic Species at Risk Internship - Canada

Janelle Marie Curtis janelle.curtis at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed May 26 18:16:57 EDT 2010

Dear Colleagues,

A six-month internship is available through the Canada Federal Public Sector Youth Internship Program to work on aquatic species at risk at the Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo, British Columbia.

Internship Opportunity: Species at Risk Modelling Intern, BC-PS-R62

Description of the internship: Our research program aims to develop and evaluate quantitative modelling approaches for estimating the amount and spatial configuration of habitat necessary to achieve population recovery goals established during the SARA recovery planning process. The intern will work with our team to learn the fundamentals of building four types of spatial population and habitat models. Responsibilities will include working with our team to:
•	Gather and synthesize data for use in population dynamics models
•	Analyze data to estimate parameters, and build habitat suitability models in a Geographic Information System (GIS).
•	Run computer simulations and carry out sensitivity analyses.
•	Write and test functions in R.
•	Help prepare reports, presentations, and manuscripts.
•	The intern will become familiar with the processes of species at risk status assessment, critical habitat identification, and recovery planning.

Minimum qualifications and skills required of the candidate: The candidate should have completed an undergraduate degree from a recognized university in biology, ecology, fisheries, or a related field, have a strong academic record and have completed advanced courses in population ecology, population dynamics modelling, landscape ecology, fisheries science, biostatistics, or GIS. Experience with (or motivation to learn) programming in a statistical or modelling language such as R would be a valuable asset. An interest in conservation biology or applied ecology, and an aptitude for quantitative analysis of population or spatial (GIS) data are essential for a successful internship within our research program.

Eligibility Criteria:
Applicants must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada, from 15-30 years old, and be able to start on or before 30 July 2010. Full time students, or those who have previously participated in this program are not eligible.

To apply for the Species at Risk Modelling Internship (BC-PS-R62):

Additional details are posted at: http://25834.vws.magma.ca/yoyipdetails.jsp?&lang=en&flash=1<=en&ta=98&refid=BC-PS-R62.

To apply, please forward a cover letter, CV, and copy of post-secondary transcripts to Janelle.curtis at dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Applicants will also need to fill out an electronic form available at: https://apply.fpsyip.com/application/?l=en and quote the reference number BC-PS-R62.

Review of applications will begin on 5 June 2010. Applications will be accepted until the internship is filled.