[Coral-List] Tar Balls

Quenton Dokken qdokken at gulfmex.org
Fri May 28 14:26:55 EDT 2010

I can't add anything more than Steve.  Tar on Texas beaches is not unusual.
As pointed out converging currents bring lots of detritus to Texas'
seashores.  Past studies of tar on Texas barrier islands has identified a
number of sources including natural seepage, shipping operations, and relics
from the IXTOC in 1979.    The only way to know for sure is to have the
Coast Guard run lab analysis.  If you find out the source please let us
know.

Quenton

Quenton Dokken, Ph.D.
Executive Director