[Coral-List] Seaward MPA boundaries | Chagos MPA

Phil Dustan dustanp at cofc.edu
Mon Nov 1 08:51:12 EDT 2010

Hey Doug and Duncan,
  An examination of chlorophyll satellite imagery will show that Indian
Ocean Atolls generate large downstream plumes of enriched productivity
due to the island wake effect and perhaps island outwelling.  The
enhancement is about 10percent over tens of thousands of sq kilometers.
These waters are productive fishing grounds and may have other functions
as well- larval ecology perhaps? So there is a bit of wisdom in
extending the boundaries offshore. That said, the dynamics of the water
mass boundaries become the important delineation, not necessarily the
absolute distance in kilometers.
    We have the technology, just need the political will.
       Phil