[Coral-List] Chagos MPA

David Evans davidjevans1818 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 13:45:47 EDT 2010

Regarding Chagos MPA,

The article in the independent is very interesting and raises very important
issues in relation to environmental concerns for the oceans. Absolutely!!

However, regarding reference to Dr. Heather Koldewey, I think Richard Dunne
raised a very interesting and important point that really should be investigated
further because of the very real enviro-social aspect of this story before the
patting of backs and passing of cigars commences.

Dunne said [Coral List Nov 1 2010]: "The one illogicality is that she appears to
assume that control of the fishery can only be achieved through a no-take MPA.
In so doing, she ignores that there is an existing legal regime which has been
in place for 19 years which permits the same degree of control. Indeed it is
this legislation which has been used to suspend all fishing licences (as of 1
Nov 2010) and not the MPA, which does not yet exist."

Is this true?

The one question that I have not seen handled fully and in good faith is that
of:

What would the present day impacts of acknowledging the Chagossians rights be on
the overall Goodness of the MPA?

Would Acknowledging their rights negate the conservation benefits of the MPA?

Are there benefits to Acknowledging their rights?
    (... yes... I see... that's three questions... but it's the same idea)

Boundary sizes have been discussed, along with enforcement, zonation, species
affected... But the real impacts of re-settlement have not been discussed.

Re-settlement does not mean: Boom return to a pre-eviction set up. From my
understanding from what the Chagossians have very clearly stated, they are in
favor of the ideals and intentions of the MPA.

Maybe some real consideration might be given to what that might mean. I think if
nothing else, they deserve that rather than flatly equating Chagossian rights
with Anti-Conservation, negating the MPA, and destruction of the multifaceted
Jewel that is Chagos.

Time has been spent on the feasibility of re-settlement. But not in relation to
the impact of re-settlement on the entire Chagos (terrestrial and marine
including deep sea resources) MPA.

So... Why again do the Chagossians have to be excluded from their own table in
order for the MPA to be worth while? Because from what I understand... That's
not making much sense...

If the Chagossians didn't exist... then Wonderful! What a gift to the world the
Conservation Efforts would be. But they do exist, and the Conservation Efforts
can still be a wonderful gift to the world. I have not seen it adequately
explained yet why that is not true.

Regarding the patrolling of the large marine areas of the MPA, it wouldn't be US
military jets patrolling, but rather the already very busy detachment of P3
Orion submarine hunters and marine surveillance air craft (technically
turboprops) out of Diego Garcia. I doubt though that surveilling fishery
activity would be added to their mission descriptions (or maybe it already is...
who knows!?!? but a no-take uninhabited MPA sure makes their jobs easier!!!).

I know that we all (or most of us) would rather be focused on technical aspects
of marine (coral reef) biology, physiology, ecology, etc... rather than these
societal interactions and socio-environmental problems (god knows I would
rather)... but without working out these things, the other stuff just gets
washed away in the rising tide of human activities.

Best Regards,
David J. Evans

<<<<<Sometimes maybe it's a matter of perspective or things working on a deeper
level:
"I  think it all comes down to what one calls truth. I'm not sure if it's  easy
to define that word. When I was studying philosophy, one standard  subject for
essays was: Is truth the opposite of a lie, or the opposite  of a mistake?"
"What was your answer?" [she says.]
"If  some of my colleagues are to be believed," Einstein replies with a final
laugh, "I said that the opposite of truth is truth."