[Coral-List] Large pelagic/reef MPAs - Phoenix Islands, Kiribati

Steven Miller smiller at gate.net
Fri Nov 12 11:38:35 EST 2010

Hi David

I thought that buying out the fishing rights, to benefit the people of
Kiribati, was considered paramount to the success of the PIPA. Is this
still an element of the management strategy?

I also remember early discussions about establishing a Trust on behalf
of the people of Kiribati as justification for eliminating fishing (that
is, jobs).  You mentioned that the government is in the processing of
setting up a Trust Fund "based on the natural resources of the protected
area that will benefit the people of Kiribati..."  If I remember
correctly, the Trust Fund has been talked about for some time now.  How
much money is in the Fund now and how much money is sought (needed) to
benefit the people of Kiribati?

Thanks for the update.

Steven Miller, PhD
Research Professor
UNC Wilmington

I suppose knowing how the money would be spent to benefit the people of
Kiribati is an important question too, but that is another issue.