[Coral-List] La Nina and global warming

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 26 23:07:29 EST 2010

It appears that some desire to restrict or cut off discussion of climate change
issues on the list. They argue that the topic doesn't pertain to coral reefs
or marine ecosystems and that these discussions would be more appropriate if
confined to other venues where atmospheric considerations dominate. Others want
to impose selective criteria on anyone posting comments that qualify as "pro-AGW".
(Hopefully, no one on either side is pro anthropogenic global warming)

But, be that as it may, it should be pointed out that the current thread began
with the proddings of one of list's more outspoken anthropogenic climate change
skeptics. (If that term can be used in an endearing sense as there is no intention of
accusing anyone of heretical behavior.) In fact, I would say that although his views
often draw fire, to his credit he (Gene) has never suggested that the debate be muted.

Whenever it is suggested that contributors be limited by arbitrary criteria or
topics forbidden by a similar paradigm it becomes an advocacy for censorship.
I would hope that the Coral-List would want to avoid such an overt suppression
of thought.

This is not a religious debate, but an examination of scientific facts, albeit with
some level of prognostication as is common in developing any theoretical concept.
It is not contrived, designed to control the list or meant to induce fear.
Nor are these exchanges preventing the introduction of alternate topics.

We can all probably do more in our everyday lives to improve the situation,
but restricting the exchange of ideas isn't one of them.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion;
and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still.  ~John Stuart Mill

  We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion;
  and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still.  ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859