[Coral-List] Suitable underwater materials for interpretive trail

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Mon Nov 29 09:22:10 EST 2010

Rudy,

To resist bioaccumulation it has to be toxic. The only clear
antifouling paint that works is Clear25 or similar, using TBT. As you
know they are prohibited since many years.

When I invented the SediMeter (http://lindorm.com) Clear25 was legal,
now it is not, so I have had to develop a cleaner instead since the
sensor consists of transparent plastic.

You can use polycarbonate, but you must clean it regularly, such as
at least once a week in Key West. Probably once every 2 days in the
summer. Unless you can deploy some wave-activated cleaner, which may
be a possibility. Strips of clear plastic hanging so that they are
moved over the surface by the waves might work - but they might also
be a nuisance for the reader of the sign.

Ulf Erlingsson