[Coral-List] More La Ninia

Bruno, John F jbruno at unc.edu
Mon Nov 29 20:50:37 EST 2010

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:33:52 -0500
> From: Eugene Shinn <eshinn at marine.usf.edu>
> Subject: [Coral-List] More La Ninia
> To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
>
>      I suspect that Arhenius did not know that if you raise the
> temperature you also raise the CO2 level.(thats the little annual
> spikes on the Keeling CO2 curve)

> E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor
> University of South Florida
> Marine Science Center (room 204)
> 140 Seventh Avenue South
> St. Petersburg, FL 33701
> <eshinn at marine.usf.edu>
> Tel 727 553-1158

Actually, those little seasonal spikes are caused by the growth of plants in the northern hemisphere (where most the world's land plants are) during the northern hemisphere summertime. They are not caused by temperature per se, which if you think about it, doesn't even make sense since the seasonal cycles of the earth's two hemispheres are not in sync.

JB