[Coral-List] More on coral spawning in Colombia and bleaching

Valeria Pizarro valepizarro at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 10:34:35 EDT 2010

Dear all,

On the night of September 30th, at Corales del Rosario National Natural Park (specifically in Isla Grande reef area), Montastraea annularis and M. faveolata spawned. Must of the colonies spawned during this night for both species.
Bleaching was observed in Corales del Rosario National Natural Park. Approximately 15 % of the colonies were affected. Almost all Siderastrea siderea colonies were pale or bleached. Brain corals (Diploria spp. and Colpophyllia natans) were highly affected.
Another area affected, even worse, by bleaching is Neguange Bay (Tayrona National Natural Park). Approximately 70 % of the colonies are bleached. Four weeks ago bleaching was observed in S. siderea and brain corals, last week most of the coral species in the area were bleached and some Acropora palmata colonies have died already. This bleaching might be a result of the high sedimentation, fresh water input and high sea surface temperatures we are experience this year. If this conditions continue (seems to be the case) we might have high coral mortality in the area.
Saludos,
Valeria PizarroUniversidad Jorge Tadeo LozanoSanta Marta - Colombia