[Coral-List] In vitro experiment and spawning

Tom Lo tolope at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 18:38:10 EDT 2010

Dear coral listers,

I would be gratefull to hear your oppinion about this case.

Since August 18, I was working in an *in vitro* experiment with ramets of
the coral *Montastraea annularis*. A week before the spawning season
(september), some colonies looked like if they were preparing to release
gametes (polyps were overgrown with small pale "something" showing out of
their mouths); condition that was more evident and spread as the date was
getting closer. We prepared a fast methodology to evaluate this special
event during the nights of september 28th, 29th and 30th.

During those nights, the polyps got bigger and "goosebump-like". I stayed
until 12:00am every night and nothing visible was released nor captured by
the tramps. However, the water quality decrease significantly after the
first day (bad smell, a lot of foam from the skimer, and muddy), condition
that got worst through the days.

Observations:
- most ramets showed their mesenteric filaments
- most ramets released the living tissue in just a few days
- there was an overgrown event of what I think is a white cyanobacteria
(wrap of filaments observed in the microscope)
- there was a massive death of fragments during those days

I'm not sure but I think there was a massive discharge of nutrients, sexual
products or organic material, that trigger this reaction.
I would appreciate, If someone have any experience or knowledge in this area
and can help me to figure out what happened.
There are photos and additional details; please contact me.

Saludos,

Tomás López