[Coral-List] Rugosity of artifical reefs

Brian Walker walkerb at nova.edu
Thu Oct 14 10:21:53 EDT 2010

Hi Cliff,

We have done some work off of SE FL trying to link fish populations to
topographic complexity on the natural reef and found there are many
confounding factors to this relationship including depth, habitat, the
operational scale of the fishes comprising the assemblage, the resolution of
the bathymetry, etc. In situ measurements of rugosity showed the strongest
relationship to the assemblage and their relationship to topographic metrics
derived from bathymetry data (4m lidar) were very weak.

There are a host of issues with trying to compare populations between
natural and artificial substrates. Teasing out the relationship with
rugosity or some other topographic metric from this would be very
challenging.

Also measuring the rugosity of an artificial reef would be difficult
depending on the type. Most methods cannot account for the porosity of the
structure which would be very important in most artificial reef types. It is
not as simple as acquiring bathy/topo data because this will not account for
the interior spaces.

Much work is still needed to understand this complicated issue. I'm not
saying  it's not worth a shot, but it won't be as straightforward as it may
seem.

______________________________________

Walker, B.K., Jordan, L.K.B., Spieler, R.E., 2009. Relationship of Reef Fish
Assemblages and Topographic Complexity on Southeastern Florida Coral Reef
Habitats. J Coast Res 53, 39-48.

Walker, B.K., 2009. A Model Framework for Predicting Reef Fish Distributions
Across the Seascape Using GIS Topographic Metrics and Benthic Habitat
Associations, Proceedings of the 11th International Coral Reef Symposium,
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, pp. 657 - 661.

Cheers,

Brian K. Walker, Ph.D.
Research Scientist