[Coral-List] Rugosity of artifical reefs

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Oct 14 17:41:32 EDT 2010

Brian is right. It is difficult to use standard rugosity measures to meaningfully compare artificial and natural reef structures.

Historically, most measures of reef rugosity have involved comparing linear distances with distances along the reef surface (including benthic organisms), often with fine chains for the latter measure (Porter 1972, Risk 1972). Inspired by Bradbury and Reichelt's (1983) use of calipers to measure reef structure at multiple scales for fractal analysis, we modified the chain method to measure at multiple scales (McManus et al 1996), and showed that small fish tended to be abundant where rugosity at small scales was high, and similarly across the scales (Nañola et al 1989). Subsequently, a number of studies have used acoustic or lidar methods to measure rugosity at multiple scales, including the excellent papers cited by Brian. Wilding et al. (2010) reviewed several in-water measurement approaches. Courtney et al (2007) and Fisher (2007) discuss using a combination of 3D photographic reconstruction and estimation to obtain broad surface measures.

However, none of these methods account well for cavities. This problem was discussed for reefs by Ginsburg (1983) and for artificial vs natural reefs by  Caddy and Stamatopoulos (1990). For studying fish-cavity relationships, one would have to be able to compare something like the large hollows and hole entrances in reef balls with natural systems such as the protected spaces within dense patches of elkhorn coral. That is a computer problem for which we have a solution not yet implemented.

Cheers!

John

Bradbury RH, Reichelt RE (1983) Fractal dimension of a coral-reef at ecological scales. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 10(2):169–171.

Caddy JF, Stamatopoulos C (1990) Mapping growth and mortality rates of crevice-dwelling organisms onto a perforated surface: The relevance of "cover" to the carrying capacity of natural and artificial habitats. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 31(1):87-106.

Courtney LA, Fisher WS, Raimondo S, Oliver LM, Davis WP (2007) Estimating 3‐dimensionalcolony surface area of field corals. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 351(1‐2):234‐242.

Ginsburg RN (1983) Geological and niological roles of cavities in coral reefs. Pp 148-153 In: Barnes DJ Perspectives on coral reefs. Australian Institute of Marine Science and Brian Clouston, Manuka, Aus.

McManus JW, Nañola CL, del Norte AGC, Reyes RB, Pasamonte JPN, Armada NP, Gomez ED,  Aliño PM (1996) Coral reef fishery sampling methods. Chapter 5. p. 226-270. In: V.F. Gallucci, S.B. Saila, D.J. Gustafson and B.J. Rothschild (eds) Stock Assessment: Quantitative Methods and Applications for Small-scale Fisheries. CRC Lewis Publishers, New York. 527 p.

Nañola CL, McManus JW, Campos WL, del Norte AGC, Reyes RB, Cabansag JBP, Pasamonte JN (1989). Spatio Temporal variations in community structure on a heavily fished forereef slope in Bolinao, Philippines. pp. 377 380. In: Hirano, R. and I. Hanyu, eds. The Second Asian Fisheries Forum. 991 p. Asian Fisheries Society, Manila, Philippines.

Porter JW (1972) Patterns of Species Diversity in Caribbean Reef Corals Ecology 53(4):745-748

Risk MJ (1972) Fish diversity on a coral reef in the Virgin Islands. Atoll Research Bulletin 153:1-6.

Wilding TA, Palmer EJL, Polunin NVC (2010) Comparison of three methods for quantifying topographic complexity on rocky shores. Marine Environmental Research 69(3):143-151

Fisher WS (2007) Stony Coral Rapid Bioassessment Protocol U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Research and Development Washington, DC 20460 EPA/600/R-06/167. www.epa.gov/ord.