[Coral-List] Recovering Acropora cervicornis populations inthe Caribbean

EWeil eweil at caribe.net
Fri Sep 10 20:05:03 EDT 2010

There were several populations of healthy and really thick branches in Curacao and Bonaire. Some of these were affected by a storm
in 2008 I think which produced significant fragmentation and mortality. The population in Caracas Bay, Curacao, was recovering
well in the summer of 2009. Here in Puerto Rico there a small patches all over the place. However, they are impacted by predation,
algae overgrowth and the occasional white band outbreak.

EW

Dr. Ernesto Weil
Department of Marine Sciences
University of Puerto Rico
PO BOX 3208
Lajas PR 00667
Pho: (787) 899-2048 x. 241
Fax: (787) 899-5500 - 2630

major giving the size/thickness of the branches and extensiveness of the buildup (ridges >2 m high)

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
 http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta"  target="_new"> http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta >