[Coral-List] alternative free-wheeling list

Heather Dewar hdewar at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 19 13:34:27 EDT 2010

As an ex-newspaper reporter who was required to attend frequent libel
law seminars, I read this paragraph with my heart in my throat:

There you can call each other dirty rotten scoundrels, you
can post all kids of illustrative or condemning pictures, you can say
whichever U.S. or state government agency is doing a rotten job because
so-and-so let his ego get in the way (or whatever), you can say Dr.
Blackshark falsified his results, you can say global warming is a big
liberal tree-hugging hoax manufactured to keep scientists employed,
you can
post sarcasm intended to embarrass or provoke, or that all Dr.
Blackshark's
research money is going to buy junkets to Bali in the name of some
dubious
research pretext.

Such a listserve could easily become a libel lawyer's dream! and you
as individuals may not be rich, but some of your institutions
probably are tempting deep pockets.

I am a big fan of candor, but please...let's be careful out there.

Heather Dewar
environment writer
hdewar at earthlink.net
410-268-7695