[Coral-List] Coral Reef Curmudgeons

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 20 15:42:15 EDT 2010

I for one have no interest in getting involved with any list
that has as it’s purpose to provoke, condemn or embarrass anyone
based on their posted opinions. But, at the same time, I do believe
that many of you “scientists” must come to realize the extent of
the responsibility that you have come to possess. (Like it or not.)

What will it take to get you to throw off your concerns about
political correctness and institutionalized censorship and come
to understand that there are actually issues at stake that require
a more courageous and selfless level of participation?

I know that considering your diversified backgrounds there are bound
to be differences of opinion, but I fail to understand how so many well
educated individuals credentialed in the marine sciences can just
sit by and fiddle while Rome burns.
(Or while marine ecosystems approach their demise.)

The bottom line is, in my opinion, that science holds the keys to our
planet’s future and perhaps the future of mankind.
(Forgive the melodramatic emphasis.)
If any special interests are allowed to control the information
necessary for a thorough debate, then the die has surely been cast.

Somehow all of you must be encouraged to speak your minds and to do so somewhere
in a way that emphatically enlightens the public on the issues of the day.

This can be done without fear of litigation, but not without fortitude.

There should be enough impetus in just considering what is at stake.

   Regards,
  Steve Mussman