[Coral-List] Coral Reef Curmudgeons

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Wed Sep 22 10:15:00 EDT 2010

This is not about coral, but it is crucial for the future of science.

How shall we evaluate research?

Already the old Greeks knew that it was the message, not the
messenger, that we shall pay attention to. So how comes that so many
today focus on where the message comes from? It is and remains
irrelevant.

The fact is that scientists depend on funding, and funding is not
results-neutral in many cases. Thus, the bias is more likely to be in
what scientific inquiry is carried out (or not carried out), than in
the results that are published. If we disregard results from a
certain sector a priori, we are back to the Dark Ages...

All results have to be critically evaluated based on merits, without
regard for who wrote it.