[Coral-List] Coral Reef Curmudgeons

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 06:47:06 EDT 2010

Dear Tom,

Great to see that you have such obvious concern for coral reef systems,
but you must come to understand that there are many perspectives on how
best to assure that these valuable ecosystems remain viable and healthy.
Focusing on issues like the fascinating topic of your dissertation can
certainly contribute to that end, but it may be equally critical to ensure
that the information produced and the conclusions reached get effective exposure.
Otherwise there is little hope that changes will be enacted that can lead
to the ultimate protection of  our coral reef systems.

You may BELIEVE that there is sufficient information to warrant concern
about climate change and it’s impact on coral reef systems, but that belief
must somehow be projected  and transformed into effective policy change if
it is to make a difference and help us to veer off our current path.

My point is that there is more to it than just a narrow focus on the minutia
involved in the hard science. Those involved in the Coral Curmudgeons discussion
are every bit as concerned about coral reefs as anyone on the list and their
passion reflects it. There seems to me to be adequate space for all and Jim Hendee
is more than capable of keeping the list sufficiently moderated.

Regards,
 Steve