[Coral-List] TNC Reef Resilience Project Manager Position Open

Mel Briscoe Mel at briscoe.com
Mon Sep 27 14:00:01 EDT 2010

It is entirely possible to have a governmental/non-govermental
collaboration, and entirely legal, so calling it "collusion" is not quite
accurate.

What matters is the form of the collaboration, and whether there is
governmental money flowing to the con-governmental organization. In some
cases, such as the research grants Gene is probably familiar with, the money
flows to the researcher and officially there is no hands-on relationship or
direction or micro-management or even a "deliverable." It is a best-effort,
take the money and run kind of situation. But there can also be a money flow
from the government in a "cooperative agreement," which is common with
mission agencies (e.g., NOAA) rather than funding agencies (e.g., NSF). In
this mode, it is really a partnership, with people from both sides sharing
work and information. It is more hands-on for the agencies and enables some
excellent collaborations. There are many kinds of financial agreements, the
grants and cooperative agreements are just two. "Collusion" and "illegal"
would be a very poor descriptor of these activities, not to mention naïve.