[Coral-List] Epoxy products for coral propagation, coral nurseries etc

Don Baker reefpeace at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 19:18:20 EDT 2011

Hi Andy:

Yes EU is the Europa.     Corals that are cultured, though still under CITES
Appendix II, can be exported internationally in the marine aquarium trade if the
proper Permits are arranged both with the exporting country and the importing
nation.  Of course, the country of origin must have laws that allow such exports
to take place. Federated States of Micronesia has laws that allow cultured
corals (F2) to be exported.  They limit the use of wild mother donor corals
though.  The coral farms are suppose to have cultured their own mother colonies
(F3 +).

Cultured corals are also exported from Sabah, Malaysia - where I am currently
based.  I have been trying to get the Philippines into the same but too much red
tape and bureaucratic corruption deters such efforts.  One party in the
Philippines even told me how they would 'fake' cultured corals and take over the
world market. Hence perhaps why the laws remain unchanged and in place there.

Cheers,
Don