[Coral-List] Instructor wanted for MANTA summer course in British Virgin Islands

Russell Day rusty.day at manta-online.org
Tue Apr 5 23:50:37 EDT 2011

MANTA is hiring instructors for our summer 2011 cruise in the British Virgin
Islands.  Our program consists of two-week cruises where instructors and
students live aboard a 50 ft catamaran sailboat and explore the natural
environment of the British Virgin Islands.  Students are immersed in a field
studies course in marine science focusing on coral reefs which involves
daily scuba diving, snorkeling, and research.  Students are also taught the
skills necessary to become a proficient member of the crew on a research
vessel, including sailing, seamanship, navigation, leadership and teamwork.
For more information about MANTA please visit www.manta-online.org or
contact Rusty Day at rusty.day at manta-online.org.  This is a very physically
and psychologically demanding job, and is also extremely rewarding and fun.

Instructor responsibilities include:

1) Teaching marine science through lectures, labs, and hands-on research and
discovery

2) Certification and supervision of students in scuba diving

3) Training of students in the nautical sciences including sailing,
seamanship, and navigation

4) Ensuring the safety and appropriate conduct of students at all times

5) Creating a positive, encouraging, and inspirational environment in which
to learn and live

6) Assisting with all aspect of program logistics, including operation and
maintenance of the vessel, and program setup and break-down.

Qualifications:

The most highly qualified applicants will have a strong background in all
three of the core components of our program: marine science, scuba diving,
and sailing.

..        Bachelor degree or higher in marine science or related field
(graduate degree preferred)

..        Certified PADI SCUBA Instructor (required)

..        Experience with coral reef biology, taxonomy, and field research
methods

..        Prior experience teaching and working with high school and/or
college students

..        Certified and experienced SCUBA diver with underwater research
experience

..        Strong nautical background including sailing and piloting yachts
and small boats

..        Exceptional organization and interpersonal skills

..        Positive attitude, commitment to education and research, and good
physical stamina and strength

..        First Aid and CPR or Wilderness First Responder Certification

Duration:             This is a part-time position for summer 2011 from July
26 to August 14 for our college course accredited through the College of
Charleston.

Compensation:  Instructors will be paid $1500 and a $500 stipend to
reimburse airfare.  All room and board, and scuba equipment will be
provided.

Closing date:      April 30

Application:         Please send your resume and cover letter to
rusty.day at manta-online.org.