[Coral-List] Coral-List shutdown

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 8 05:57:22 EDT 2011

Greetings,

    The reason why Coral-List will shutdown if the government does is
because we, as US government employees, are not allowed by law to work
if a budget isn't passed.  Only "essential" services will be allowed to
continue.  Coral-List is not considered essential to safety or national
defense, although I guess you could argue that in the long run corals
that provide intrinsic natural beauty, support billions in fisheries and
tourism throughout the world, and shoreline protection against ravaging
storms are important to some folks.

    I am hopeful that we won't have a shut-down, but at this moment,
things don't look so good.  If we do shut-down, it's hard to imagine it
would be for long.

    Cheers,
    Jim
    Coral-List Administrator