[Coral-List] Bobbit worm

Massimo Boyer massimo at edge-of-reef.com
Fri Apr 15 12:36:25 EDT 2011

Dear all

Does anybody know the scientific name of the polychaete named Bobbit worm?

On Wikipedia the scientific name of the worm is reported as Eunice aphroditois. But to my knowledge, this is the name of a worm living also in the temperate mediterranean waters, commonly used as a byte by italian fishermen. It is not known for having huge jaws, even if it can grow very long (3 m).

Is Eunice aphroditois the correct scientific name for the Bobbit worm? Does anybody have a scientific paper dealing with it, or at least a reference?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Massimo

www.kudalaut.com
www.kudalaut.eu
www.auroraliveaboard.com
www.edge-of-reef.com
www.seadb.net
Please consider our environment before printing this e-mail. Save the tree.
Per favore, non stampate questa e-mail se non è necessario. Risparmiamo gli alberi.