[Coral-List] mystical settling organism

Christian Jessen christian.jessen at zmt-bremen.de
Wed Aug 10 06:14:04 EDT 2011

Dear Coral-List(en)ers,
during terracotta settlement plate experiments in the Red Sea, my
colleague Jessica Bouwmeester and I discovered a settling organism we
couldn't identify. We found it on tiles that were exposed for 2 and 4
months.
We were discussing coral recruits and benthic forams, but neither the
typical corallite of corals or the chambers of forams are visible. It
also didn't resemble bryozoans, but maybe we can find some help on this
list. We have more pictures available when needed. Many thanks in advance..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/recruit1.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/recruit2.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/recruit3.jpg/

Cheers

Christian

--
Christian Jessen
PhD Candidate - Coral Reef Ecology

Leibniz Center for Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT)
Fahrenheitstrasse 6
D - 28359 Bremen
Germany

Tel : (00)49-(0)421-23800-106
Fax : (00)49-(0)421-23800-30

web : www.zmt-bremen.de
mail: christian.jessen at zmt-bremen.de

Leibniz-Zentrum für Marine Tropenökologie (ZMT) GmbH

Fahrenheitstraße 6
28359 Bremen
Deutschland
Tel: +49(0)421 238 00-0