[Coral-List] Sargassum fluitans proliferation in the Lesser Antilles

OMMM Association ommm at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 10 14:08:14 EDT 2011

Sargassum species here (Sargassum fluitans probably) are actually
pelagic sargassum that develop at the surface of the water and are not
attached to the substratum. Those algae can bloom in case of critical
amount of nutrient inputs, that might be the cause of the amount of
algae we ahve today. Another reason might be the global change in the
current systems along the Eastern Caribbean that was not as usual as
reported by fishermen in the area. But we would be interested in looking
at the history of this phenomenon as I started to observe large plates
of sargassum by mid May all across the Lesser Antilles. At this time the
algae was not accumulating along the coast of the islands.

Jean-Philippe

Dr Jean-Philippe Maréchal, DSci
Director
Observatoire du Milieu Marin Martiniquais
3 avenue Condorcet
97200 Fort de France
Tel : +33 (5) 96 39 42 16
http://www.ommm.org