[Coral-List] Sargassum fluitans proliferation in the Lesser Antilles

Arlo H. Hemphill arlo at arlohemphill.com
Wed Aug 10 16:18:06 EDT 2011

Dear Jean-Philippe and All,

Atlantic Pelagic Sargassum is generally dominated by two holopelagic
species, both Sargassum fluitans and S. natans.  The two are easily
distinguished by looking for a pin-like stipe at the base of the air
bladders on S. natans.  Six other species of Sargassum may also
potentially be present in pelagic mats, but those species are not
holopelagic.  The habitat, while it remains offshore, is extremely
important as a juvenile fish nursery and also for juvenile sea
turtles.  Thus it's appearance offshore during hatching season may
perhaps be a bit of a blessing for the turtles, although I do
understand it can be a major mess when it washes ashore.  I am curious
as to whether there is an actual increase in pelagic biomass as
opposed to a change in prevailing winds or currents?  Sargassum often
forms sizeable mats in both the Gulf of Mexico and the Sargasso Sea,
and it quite commonly washes up on beaches of Florida and Bermuda as
you are describing.  Does anyone have any data on what might be
happening offshore - ie. biomass increase vs change in oceanographic
conditions?  We've had a strange weather year with the storms and
heat, so my inclination would be to look at physical oceanography first.

Best,

Arlo

Arlo H. Hemphill
Marina, California

202.746.3484 (m)
E-mail: arlo at arlohemphill.com
Skype: arlohemp
Twitter: arlohemphill

Conservation * Exploration * Communications
www.arlohemphill.com