[Coral-List] Economic Valuation and market based conservation

Jerald S. Ault jault at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Aug 11 10:44:47 EDT 2011

Gene, Thanks for that colorful recount of the early days of the Keys. It's
pure anecdotal gold and helps to fill in alot of questions that I have
had!! Jerry

> Dear Listers,
>       My criticism of economic schemes for saving corals and calling
> it "social engineering" apparently raised blood pressures and
> stimulated many thoughtful discussions. I can't respond to postings
> about many reef areas mentioned in the posts, but Rudy's posting
> touches on several events/changes in the Florida Keys that I know
> very well.
>       I was born in Key West and began diving in the Keys in 1950.
> There are not many of us left. Because of age and location, I
> observed many historical and sociological changes leading to the
> present. Even though this is a rather long read, here is some history
> as seen through cynical eyes. Keys history suggests possible ways
> Keys history affected coral growth. One must first realize that the
> Florida Keys have been a magnet for people running away from
> something since the first pirates and later loyalists from the
> Bahamas. Key West for most of its history was like a foreign country
> more closely allied to Cuba than the US and people running from
> something are still arriving. First some diving and social history.
>       When I began driving from Miami to go diving in the early 1950s,
> the only gas station between Homestead and Key West was in Marathon.
> The Last Chance Bar and Grill off US 1 in Homestead was almost the
> last chance. The Overseas Liquor store in Marathon was the other one.
> This was a time  when bay bottom mud was being pumped up to create
> Duck Key and Key Colony Village, and other Keys were being enlarged
> and cut with canals.
>        There were about 20 hardcore divers spear fishing in the Keys
> at that time. We pretty much knew each other because we often met at
> the same Miami fish markets and restaurants selling our fish.
> AAU-sponsored spear fishing contests were held somewhere in the Keys
> every year. One could launch a boat at places like the Gulf Stream
> Club on Garden Cove or other out-of-the-way places with little worry
> that your car and trailer might be stolen. If you carried your 6-hp
> outboard in the trunk, as I did, you could rent a wooden skiff for 3
> dollars a day. There were no dive shops or dive boats. "Aqua lungs"
> were beginning to appear, but most skin divers could not afford them.
> The greatest deterrent to Keys diving and fishing was the mosquitoes.
> Getting from car to safely offshore was painful.
>       Some roadside shops sold a few conch shells and coral but there
> were few tourists. Mosquitoes kept them in their cars. The Coast
> Guard was still dynamiting coral to open a channel for supply boats
> that supplied the men living on lighthouses. About 5 people manned
> most lighthouses. Carysfort had telephone communications to shore and
> the remains of the cable are still in the access channel.
>       Motels were few and far between, and water barely trickled from
> showerheads. It came from a 12-inch-diameter pipe that ran from
> [...]

Jerald S. Ault, Ph.D.
Professor of Marine Biology and Fisheries
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami,  4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149        jault at rsmas.miami.edu
(305)421-4884  ph      (305)421-4791  fax
http://femar.rsmas.miami.edu/
http://bonefishresearch.com/
http://tarponresearch.com/