[Coral-List] Sargassum

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Fri Aug 12 14:37:23 EDT 2011

In general terms, the Sargasso Sea is a "hill" in the ocean, created
by the Coriolis effect as the Meridional Overturning Circulation
(MOC) circles around it. The MOC is deep, narrow and fast in the west
(the Gulf Stream), and wide, shallow, and slow in the east (about the
eastern half of the North Atlantic Ocean. The Coriolis effect pushes
water to the right, in to the center of circulation, and the hill is
created. The slope from the hill out balances the Coriolis effect.

If the MOC would weaken, the water would tend to flow from the
central hill in the Sargasso Sea and out in the gyre. If this happens
on the eastern or southern side, the sargassum might be expected to
reach the Lesser Antilles. So far it is simple physics.

What I would look for would thus be indications of a weakening MOC.

Ulf Erlingsson