[Coral-List] Promethichtys: more deepwater fish records for the Dutch Caribbean islands

Debrot, Dolfi dolfi.debrot at wur.nl
Sun Aug 21 10:56:33 EDT 2011

In 2001 I identified this species for the Dutch Caribbean based on a specimen caught by Curacao fishermen and the attached press release was placed in the local newspapers.

I also documented a record for the Atlantic cutlassfish (Trichiurus lepturus) several records of the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), and the deepwater Roughback batfish, Flathead searobin, and Conger triporiceps (all largely from deepwater snapper fishermen) for Curacao and Bonaire.

The species have wide distributional ranges but listings for the Dutch Caribbean (e.g. by FAO), have often been inferred and not based on actual records. Some species have local names given by island fishermen, indicating their familiarity with the species (e.g. Flathead searobin, Oilfish and Atl. cutlassfish)

Al Debrot