[Coral-List] Economic evaluation and market based conservation

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 14:51:45 EDT 2011

I know of at least one method that some people use to place a value on ecosystems after injuries occur and if my memory serves me correctly its called, Habitat Equivalency Analysis, and I think it focuses on the value  that these ecosytems supply in terms of use, resources of the area impacted, and so forth.  I dont know that much about it but Im sure you can find examples of its use in a number of scientific papers.  It was used for a while, especially with regards to damages inflicted on seagrass beds, and I dont know if it is still valid, or not.  Might be worth looking up!

Rudy S Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief
631 Greene Street