[Coral-List] Science Magazine Live Chat: Saving Coral Reefs

Dr. C. Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 30 11:59:31 EDT 2011

Dr. John Bruno from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Dr. Mark Eakin of NOAA's Coral Reef Watch will be the guests on this week's Live Chat.

Here's the advertisement of the chat from the Science web site:
Coral reefs from Australia to the Gulf of Mexico are some of the planet’s most vibrant ecosystems. They’re also among the most threatened habitats in oceans today. Over recent decades, a strong community of researchers and concerned citizens alike has dedicated themselves to investigating the dangers facing reefs and to developing solutions for their ongoing survival. From rising ocean temperatures to overfishing, what are the biggest dangers facing coral reefs today? What can scientists and the public do to protect these rich habitats? And how can we restore lost diversity to reefs around the world?
Join us for a live chat on this page at 3 p.m. EDT on Thursday, 1 September, to discuss these topics with experts. You can leave your questions in the comment box below before the chat starts.

The URL for the chat is http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/08/live-chat-saving-coral-reefs..html

Cheers,
Mark

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
Office: 301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136
Mobile: 301-502-8608

"Our generation's response to this challenge (of climate change) will be judged by history, for if we fail to meet it -- boldly, swiftly, and together -- we risk consigning future generations to an irreversible catastrophe."
Barack Obama, Sep. 22 2009