[Coral-List] regarding positive impacts to coral reefs

Arrecifes de coral corales2006 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 19:39:31 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I agree with the coral listers Rudy Bonn and Steve Mussman (see their messages below) about the negative impact on the coral colonies after sport divers are involved in lionfish
"hunting" massive campaigns. According to the reports of our Net of Volunteer Coral Reef Observers (RENOBOS http://icri-colombia.es.tl/Sitios-monitoreados-por-RENOBOS.htm  and  http://icri-colombia.blogspot.com/2011/04/no-pescar-pez-loro-si-pescar-pez-leon.html) created by The Foundation ICRI Colombia, the diving operators invovled on those campaigns are questioned by their clients about why they have changed their ecofriendly practices of guidance to admire resilient coral reefs, to become fishermen or "lionfish hunters". They replied to feel pressure by the authorities to copy the initiative from developed countries. Our Foundation has asked the Colombian Government to involve more the artesanal fishermen as a more continuous and sustainable solution and allow them to eat and sell their lionfish fishing products since in our developing country We still have plenty of fishermen who may find lionfish line fishing (deep coral reef areas) and small net fishing (shallow coral reef areas) as an economic alternative and food safety since snappers, groupers and other carnivorous are scarce that They have to fish parrot fish in stead. The only worries would be the safe manipulation of lionfish and the ciguatera that until now has no been reported in Colombia. We would like to share our findings during the next international meetings about the Colombian coral reef management effectiveness, in general,  during the last twenty years; and specifically about economic valuations dealing with the lionfish potential market value and ilegal fishing fines, as well as the monitoring of sewage water indicators in two Colombian case studies, one close to the Borders with the Panama in the Caribbean Sea

Nohora Galvis
Executive Director Foundation ICRI Colombia - Initiative in Pro of Colombian Coral Reefs
ICRI Focal Point for the Colombian Civil Society
http://www.iyor.org/focalpoints/countries/colombia/default.asp
Group of Researchers
http://201.234.78.173:8080/gruplac/jsp/visualiza/visualizagr.jsp?nro=00000000010268