[Coral-List] Imperfect helpful 60 Minutes

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 21 07:45:00 EST 2011

I share Steve's perspective regarding the imperfect,yet helpful
virtues of the 60 Minutes piece. We certainly need to find more
ways to raise public awareness and just the exposure that Anderson
Cooper provided is constructive to this end. The questions I posed
were not meant to be critical, but were an attempt to determine
if the experts in the marine sciences are in agreement regarding
the credibility of the statistics cited. The more significant point
was to try and ascertain if coral reef sustainability strategies are
becoming inherently overshadowed by the magnitude of threats posed
by climate change and ocean acidification.

I am all for promoting more ecologically oriented advances in
"sustainable tourism", but I want to know if this approach can
perhaps cause us to lose sight of the bigger danger. I believe it
is reasonable to consider that we can manage reefs fastidiously and
still get blindsided by a greater peril. No doubt we should strive to promote sustainability energetically, but will even the best managed
reefs be adequately protected from plight if CO2 levels are not
effectively confronted?

Perhaps this is a question that we are not ready or capable of
answering definitively, yet it is one that looms large. In the
spirit of the holidays, I'm hoping that coral reefs prove capable
of adapting to imminent change and all coral listers have a happy
and healthy new year.

    Regards,
  Steve Mussman