[Coral-List] 12 ICRS

John Ware jware at erols.com
Fri Dec 30 06:55:53 EST 2011

Dear List:

I hope you all recall the considerable controversy on this list that
surrounded the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium (scheduled for
2012 in Cairns).  The major topic of the controversy was what many
regarded as excessively high registrations fees.  Because of the high
fees, it was felt that many researchers from less developed countries
would be unable to attend.  At that time it appeared that some people
might even boycott the 12th.

I was quite surprised when I received the following missive (slightly
edited) from the Secretariat.  (I received it about 2 months ago, but I
kept waiting for somebody else to bring this up.)

"We have had an amazing response to our Call for Abstracts with over
2,200 now submitted.   ...

Because of the scale of the response over the weekend we have revisited
our draft programme to maximise the number of talks that can be
accommodated over the five days. We will start earlier, finish later and
have a shorter lunch than we had originally planned.

By all indications the final number of delegates is going to be quite
large and so we have hired an adjoining venue that can seat an
additional 1,000 delegates. This will allow us to have more concurrent
sessions and accommodate more oral presentations. This venue is across
the road from the Cairns Convention Centre."

So, despite all the ranting and raving, things go on as usual.

John R. Ware
Member of Council
International Society for Reef Studies

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                     5235 Griffith Road                    *
    *                 Gaithersburg, MD, 20886, USA              *
    *                       301 253-1059                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                   Member of the Council:                  *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *                                          _                *
    *                                         |                 *
    *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

If you are a coral-reef scientist and you are not a member
of the International Society for Reef Studies, then
shame on you.
Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.coralreefs.org