[Coral-List] Support to Alan Friedlander

Paolo usseglio usseglio at hawaii.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:57:04 EST 2011

Appreciated colleagues:

In past months difficulties between University administrators and one of
our scientist colleagues has resulted in the almost closure of the
Hawai'i Fisheries Cooperative Unit. The root of these difficulties stem
from a complaint by a single University staff describing Dr. Alan
Friedlander as someone who creates a hostile working environment.This
judgment can lead to the Hawai'i Cooperative Fisheries Research Unit to
be closed down precluding any further research.Those of us who have
worked alongside Alan know that these kinds of accusations are
preposterous, however the administrators are adamant on basing their
positions on this unique complaint.I am therefore asking anyone who has
worked alongside Alan in the past to contact me and send a brief
description of your impressions about working with Alan. I plan to
compile all the responses as a proof of character to be presented to the
administrators.We have all experienced the frustration that comes with
having to deal with administrator bureaucracy that can get in the way of
research and can empathize with this situation.A few minutes of your
time in witting a short paragraph will go a long way with clearing this
misjudgment of character.

Mahalo,

Paolo Usseglio
usseglio at hawaii.edu

--
Paolo Usseglio
Hawaii Cooperative Fishery Research Unit
usseglio at hawaii.edu