[Coral-List] Use and misuse of sediment traps on coral reefs

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Fri Feb 18 07:58:40 EST 2011

Good points Mike....I might also point out that sediment affect corals
in many profoundly different ways.  The most common assumption is that
sediments will block out light and reduce photosynthesis but what is
far more dangerous to coral is when the grain sizes of the particles
are similar in size to the target food source of the particular coral
species affected.  This is because the coral will mistakenly ingest
the sediment and waste significant resources processing and expelling
the sediment.

My point is that not only do you need to measure sedimentation where
it affects the corals (as your points make) but also the grain size
distribution AND have a knowledge of which corals are being affected
and what grain sizes those particular coral species prefer for food.

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court