[Coral-List] We found where the universe fell!

James Cervino PhD. jcervino at whoi.edu
Mon Feb 21 07:17:12 EST 2011

Dear Concerned Believers-

I just read through all of the BP Oil Spill posts and cannot believe that there
was even a debate. See below:

AP WIRE Story:  Posted on Sun, Feb. 20, 2011

> Scientist finds oily, dead gulf floor
> Associated Press
>
> WASHINGTON - Oil from the BP spill remains stuck on the bottom of the Gulf of
Mexico, according to a scientist's video and slides she says demonstrate that
the oil isn't degrading as hoped and has decimated life in parts of the
seafloor.
> At a science conference in Washington, marine scientist Samantha Joye of the
University of Georgia presented early results of her December submarine dives
around the BP spill site. She went to places she had visited in the summer and
expected the oil and residue from oil-digesting microbes would be gone. It
wasn't.

> "There's some sort of a bottleneck we have yet to identify for why this stuff
doesn't seem to be degrading," Joye said at the annual conference of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington on Saturday.
Her research and that of her colleagues contrast with other studies that
concluded with a more optimistic outlook about the health of the gulf, saying
microbes did great work consuming the oil.

> "Magic microbes consumed maybe 10 percent of the total discharge, the rest of
it we don't know," Joye said, adding: "There's a lot of it out there."

> In five expeditions, the last one in December, Joye and colleagues took 250
cores of the seafloor and traveled across 2,600 square miles. Some of the sites
she had been studying before the oil spill on April 20. Much of the oil that she
found on the seafloor - and in the water column - was chemically fingerprinted,
proving it came from the BP spill. Joye is still waiting for results to show
whether other oil samples she tested were from BP's Macondo well.

> She also showed pictures of oil-choked bottom-dwelling creatures, including
dead crabs and starfishlike brittle stars. She also saw tube worms so full of
oil they suffocated.

Dr. James M. Cervino
Visiting Scientist
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute