[Coral-List] Oil exploration in San Andres, Colombia

Marion Howard mwhoward at brandeis.edu
Wed Feb 23 21:16:39 EST 2011

To add to the recent information about the oil exploration leases
inside the Seaflower MPA, southwestern Caribbean, awarded to
Reposol-YPF and Ecopetrol by Colombia’s National Agency of
Hydrocarbons (ANH), a number of blocks (78) were auctioned in June
2010 for exploration in Colombian waters, of which two are located
inside the Seaflower MPA.

The MPA is internally divided into three contiguous management
sections, creating a regional MPA system. The MPA's total area is
65,000 km2, with 20,213 km2 included in the two leased blocks (known
in the leases as Cayos 1 and Cayos 5).

Cayos 1 covers 944,012-hectares (9,440 km2) in the MPA Northern
Section and includes Quitasueño Bank (traditional name Queena), the
largest coral structure in the San Andres Archipelago at 60 km long
and 10 to 20 km wide with a 40-km reef wall, 496 km2 of live coral
coverage, and a reef shelf area of 1,276 km2; along with ocean area
that has never been studied. This lease grants exploration rights.

Cayos 5 is in the MPA Central and Northern Sections and covers
1,077,350-hectares (10,773.5 km2). The lease for this block allows
exploration, to be followed by a "hydrocarbon development or
production stage." Cayos 5 includes the entire Old Providence barrier
reef, which is 32 km long with an area of 255 km2; Old Providence
(Isla de Providencia) and Santa Catalina coastal waters, with an
insular shelf of 298 km2; and substantial open ocean that has been
little researched to date but is known to contain grouper spawning
aggregation sites and sea mounts.

Two days after CORALINA submitted the Accion Popular, ANH suspended
exploration until they have met with representatives of the island
communities to communicate how the exploration will be done and
explain about the environmental safeguards that will be in place.

Understanding that the temporary suspension does not suggest revoking
the licenses or banning oil exploration in the MPA, CORALINA has not
withdrawn the Accion Popular against the ANH.

Marion W. Howard
Senior Lecturer in Sustainable International Development
The Heller School for Social Policy and Management
Brandeis University
Waltham, Massachusetts 02454   USA
E-mail mwhoward at brandeis.edu
Tel. 781-736-3794    Fax 781-736-8366