[Coral-List] Predator fish disappearing: what effects on coral reefs and related ecosystems

Douglas Fenner douglasfenner at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 21:21:28 EST 2011

The newspaper article concentrates on the large pelagic predatory fish like
tuna, as most likely the original study did.
     On coral reefs, large reef fish are at low abundances most places anywhere
near people, around the world.  In recent years a series of papers have
documented amazing high abundances of large apex predatory fish on remote,
nearly-pristine reefs.  They often compose about half the total fish biomass,
and the fish biomass is much larger than on reefs near people, on average.  It
is well known that fishing removes the largest fish first, and the extirpation
of some large reef fish by fishing has been documented, such as the bumphead
parrotfish that filled fish markets in Fiji when night time spearfishing was
introduced, and which are now locally extinct on some islands in Fiji and
ecologically extinct on most or all of Fiji's islands.  The largest fish are
highly vulnerable to fishing, if you go to www.fishbase.org, and look up a few
reef fish species, some large and some small, you will see the quantitative
vulnerability number they give for large species is much higher than for small
fish.  The principle reasons I know of are because big fish are smaller in
number than small fish like damsels (even though the total biomass of the large
fish is larger, because larger fish have so much more biomass), they generally
have long lifespans, late reproductive maturity and some like sharks produce
very few young, and the payoff for fishers in either food or money is usually
much greater when they can catch large fish.  I was told recently in Guam by a
fisherman that he spearfishes at night at around 230 feet deep for large fish,
and that humphead wrasse bring $11.95 a pound in the market in Guam.  Thus, a
100 pound fish can get him $1000, and he does get them.  Humphead wrasse can get
to 229 cm and 191 kg according to the Lieske and Myers ID book "Coral reef
fishes."  That size is very rare indeed, by my calculation that would bring
$5021 in Guam.  In Hong Kong or Taiwan, a very large live fish would go for much
more than that, maybe $20,000 or more.
     No other threat to coral reefs, such as sediment runoff, nutrients, coral
bleaching, etc. removes large fish more than small fish.  Because in the Pacific
the large fish include elasmobranchs, a wrasse, a parrotfish, a trevally (jack)
and groupers, and they all have very different biology and different
requirements, it is highly unlikely that environmental threats or habitat will
cause all of them to be at low levels.  The differential removal of all large
fish species is a fingerprint of fishing, and often their decline from
spearfishing can be documented.
     The large reef fish are about 50% of the reef fish biomass on near-pristine
reefs, and near zero on reefs near people.  They are ecologically extinct most
places where there are people.  (There are a few exceptions, such as Wake
Island, which has people, but it is a military base and fishing is strictly
prohibited.)  An entire guild or size class on most of the world's coral reefs
has been driven to ecological extinction.  And it is a very large guild indeed,
representing about half of the total fish biomass.  If half the corals on our
reefs were suddenly missing, we'd notice it and be very concerned.  But until
recently, the loss of these fish wasn't realized.  They were removed gradually,
not suddenly, and since they were the first to be removed, they were removed
long ago some places, and few reef biologists have ever seen anything remotely
close to a pristine reef (shark populations are now down on the GBR and falling
fast, so even the GBR isn't a pristine area for sharks).  We have all been
subject to massive shifting baselines on this one, and only the remote
near-pristine reefs shows us the reality of what a near-pristine reef is really
like, and just how much we have lost.  It is worse than most have realized, when
it comes to reef fish.
    To quote an article on diving in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands (which
have no permanent resident humans):

       “Indeed, on almost every dive, Galapagos sharks were omnipresent during
the decompression.  On one particularly memorable dive- at almost the exact same
spot of our aborted Midway dive in 1989- I lost count at over 80 Galapagos
sharks surrounding us!”  (emphasis as in original article)

Pyle, R. L.  2010.  Natural Science: Deep discoveries in the Papahanaumokuakea
Marine  National Monument.  P 8-10 in Ka’Elele, The Messenger, The Journal of
Bishop Museum, Fall, 2010.      (Midway is in the Northwestern Hawaiian
Islands.)

     Not all reefs that have had their large fish mostly removed have collapsed,
and for those that have the causes can mostly be found elsewhere, in the removal
of herbivores, or sedimentation, nutrients, mass coral bleaching, etc, the usual
suspects.  That does not mean that the removal of half of the reef fish biomass,
all in one size guild, does not have major effects.  But those effects are not
yet obvious.  The removal of apex predators can have major effects called
"trophic cascades" in other ecosystems.  Removing wolves in North America can
actually shift the course of streams.  Because wolves influence where elk drink
from the streams, and the elk trampling of banks affects stream courses.  A
classic marine tropic cascade has sea otters at the top.  They eat urchins,
which eat kelp (algae).  When the sea otters are removed (almost all were shot
on the west coast of North America for their soft fur), the urchins explode, and
eat all the kelp, producing "urchin barrens."  Since sea otters are eaten by
killer whales, there is another predator above them..  For reefs, trophic
cascades are rarely demonstrated on coral reefs.  In one case it was.  On the
GBR, there is a hook and line fishery for "coral cod" which is a species of
grouper, which of course is predatory.  The study looked at the species they
prey on, and compared no-take zones to areas open to fishing.  Indeed, the prey
species were more abundant in the areas open to fishing (which thus had less
predators).  Likely trophic cascades are more common on reefs than we know.
      The big reef fish are likely "sleepers."  Before the phase shift from
coral to algae on north shore Jamaican reefs, we didn't realize how critical
herbivory is to the maintenance of a healthy reef.  Those Jamaican reefs were
overfished for over a hundred years before the phase shift happened, and no one
knew the phase shift was going to happen.  It was an accident waiting to happen
because there was just one species of herbivore left, the black urchins,
Diadema.  Not long ago a paper reported an experiment on the GBR where
herbivores were caged out of small areas of reef for 3 years.  A forest of tall
brown algae, Sargassum, grew.  When they removed the cages, they set up video
cameras to see who would eat the algae.  No one would ever guess which fish ate
them, that species wasn't even known to be a herbivore!!  Batfish ate them.  So
it was a sleeper.  If a reef has had its batfish removed, it won't look any
different from any healthy reef, until something happens that leads to a forest
of Sargassum.  Then there will be no one to eat it, and the reef will be stuck
as an algae bed.  No one would have predicted or known.  Can we say for sure
that something as massive as removing half of all the reef fish biomass, all in
one size class will not have some drastic affect in a way we don't yet know?

"If  the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do  not
understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless  parts? To keep
every cog and wheel is the first precaution of  intelligent tinkering."  Aldo
Leopold

   A note: in the Pacific, not all large reef fish are in a single trophic
guild.  The sharks, large grouper and giant trevally are all apex predators,
primarily picivores, but humphead wrasse are invertivores, and bumphead parrots
eat algae and coral.  FishBase gives the trophic level for each species.
  Much more information documenting much of this and a long list of references
are available in an article available on the internet, "The largest fish on
coral reefs were the first to go."

http://www.sharksavers.org/en/education/sharks-are-in-trouble/399-loss-of-large-fish-on-coral-reefs.html

 http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/climate-a-ecology-16/decline-large-coral-fish

Douglas Fenner, Ph.D.
Coral Reef Monitoring Ecologist
Dept Marine & Wildlife Resources
American Samoa

Mailing address:
PO Box 3730
Pago Pago, AS 96799
USA

work phone 684  633 4456

Figures on Global Climate Show 2010 Tied 2005 as the Hottest Year on Record

"New government figures for the global climate show that 2010 was the wettest
year in the historical record, and it tied 2005 as the hottest year since
record-keeping began in 1880.  It was the 34th year running that global
temperatures have been above the 20th-century average; the last below-average
year was 1976. The new figures show that 9 of the 10 warmest years on record
have occurred since the beginning of 2001."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/science/earth/13climate.html?src=me&ref=world