[Coral-List] Volunteer positions at Chumbe Island Coral Park in Zanzibar, Tanzania

Lina Mtwana Nordlund linanordlund at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 05:17:42 EST 2011

Dear Coral List members,

Chumbe Island Coral Park, Zanzibar (Tanzania) is offering three volunteer
positions during 2011. Two of the volunteer positions would be to work as
Ramadan Rangers for the 2011 Ramadan season and one volunteer position to
work as guiding Ranger Trainer for a minimum of 2 months during 2011.  The
Ramadan Rangers would be expected to arrive on the 28th of July and stay
until the 1st of September 2010, while the Ranger Trainer dates are more
flexible and would preferably start as early as March or if it overlaps with
ramadan be one of the ramadan rangers during ramadan.

During the Islamic holy month of Ramadan our Zanzibar Rangers are not able
to swim/snorkel in the sea during daytime, but they are performing the rest
of their daily duties (such as guiding forest walks, intertidal walks,
lighthouse tour and viewing of the coconut crabs).  Chumbe Island Coral
Park, Ltd (CHICOP) seeks two volunteers to serve as snorkel guides in our
healthy coral reef.

The Ramadan ranger positions involves guest relations while guiding the
guests at Chumbe's eco-lodge while snorkeling inside the marine park,
requiring several hours of in-water each day.  The Ramadan Rangers deliver a
professional snorkel briefing with safety information and assist guests with
finding appropriate snorkel equipment for their reef excursion.  The Rangers
lead guests of all swimming levels in the water and follow-up after the
snorkeling session with discussions of interesting and environmental issues
incorporating reef guides and other visual materials. The ramadan Rnagers
are also expected to share their knowledge to he rangers. The position is
ideal for two friends, a married couple, or a person that can easily work
closely with other people.

Requirements for Ramadan Ranger:
*    Possess a background in marine science
*    Have strong experience in diving/snorkelling (and must be a strong
swimmer)
*    Training in first aid and CPR
*    Fluency in English
*    Friendly and easy-going personality to interact with diverse guests
*    Adaptable and energetic

CHICOP will provide the  Ramadan Ranger with:
*    Basic accommodation in the Island Lodge Manager's house
*    All daily staff food on Chumbe Island

Please note, we are not able to fund any travel to Zanzibar, but we will
gladly arrange for your airport pick-up/ drop-off and provide you with boat
transportation from Zanzibar to Chumbe Island.

The Ranger trainer position involves training of the 5 guiding rangers to
improve their skills within guiding as well as in natural science and the 3
patrol rangers to increase their service towards guests.  The Ranger trainer
will have a vary varied job and will be involved in developing good guiding
practices in many different fields such as coral reef auditing, forest
auditing, eco-architectural auditing, intertidal auditing as well as coconut
crab exploration and light house tours. We are incorporating the modern
ideas of Eduction for Sustainable Development not only to the educational
visits but also to the guests. Chumbe is privately managed, not for profit
and the guest staying in the MPA are paying for the conservation, therefore
we see the importance that they should have a better guided experience
(learning experience) when visiting Chumbe. With more guest and happier
guests we have more money to spend on conservation!

Requirements for Ranger Trainer:
*    Possess a background in natural science
*    Possess a background in guiding / hospitality with working experience
*    Have strong experience in diving/snorkeling (and must be a strong
swimmer)
*    Training in first aid and CPR
*    Fluency in English
*    Friendly and easy-going personality to interact with diverse guests
*    Adaptable and energetic

CHICOP will provide the Ranger Trainer with:
*    Basic accommodation in the Island Lodge Manager's house
*    All daily staff food on Chumbe Island

Please note, we are not able to fund any travel to Zanzibar, but we will
gladly arrange for your airport pick-up/ drop-off and provide you with boat
transportation from Zanzibar to Chumbe Island.

This is an excellent opportunity to experience the famous Chumbe Island reef
sanctuary and to work with a team of local staff members.  The uninhabited
island has a maximum capacity of 16 overnight guests and hosts numerous rare
and endangered terrestrial and marine species. The mission statement for
Chumbe Island Coral Park is "To manage, for conservation and educational
purposes, the Chumbe Island Reef Sanctuary and the Forest Reserve.  This is
also supported by eco-tourism activities which are directly related to the
non-consumptive uses of the natural resources."

For further information please check our website www.chumbeisland.com.

We look forward to receiving applications (personal letter and CV) on or
before February 22nd, 2011! Please use e-mail address chumbe at zitec.org and
Subject: Volunteer positions at Chumbe Island. Shortlisted candidates will
be contacted.

Best wishes,
Lina Mtwana Nordlund and the Chumbe Ranger Team

--
Ms Lina Mtwana Nordlund

Conservation and Education Manager
Chumbe Island Coral Park
P.O. Box 3203 - Zanzibar, Tanzania
Phone/Fax: +255 (0)24 2231040
Mobile:      +255 (0)776 583442
Fax UK:     +44 (0)870 1341284
www.chumbeisland.com

Ph.D. Student
Environmental and Marine Biology
Åbo Akademi University &
Aronia Coastal Zone Research Team
Novia University of Applied Sciences, Finland
www.novia.fi/lina-nordlund/