[Coral-List] SEEC at Auburn University

Kathleen Morrow kmorrow12 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 11:30:36 EST 2011

**Please Distribute Widely**                 CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

SEEC 2011
SOUTHEASTERN ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION CONFERENCE
AUBURN UNIVERSITY
AUBURN, ALABAMA, USA
25-27 MARCH 2011

ABSTRACT SUBMITTAL DEADLINE:  11 MARCH 2011

We invite all undergraduate, graduate, and post-doctoral researchers in ecology, evolution, environmental sciences, limnology, forestry, fisheries, marine sciences, and other related fields to submit abstracts for either oral or poster presentations at the 8th Annual Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference (SEEC) to be held March 25-27, 2011, at the Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama.  Each year SEEC is hosted by a different southeastern university and is organized by and geared toward students.  SEEC is a professional meeting intended for early-career researchers in ecology, evolution, and related fields to present their research to their colleagues in a comfortable, fun, and relaxed atmosphere. Typically 200-300 students give or attend formal presentations and find SEEC to be a valuable forum for sharing research and connecting with other young researchers in the region. This event is designed to encourage new friendships within our
 field and to share newly developed research ideas for feedback.  While we expect most SEEC participants to be from the Southeast, we encourage and welcome all interested individuals to submit abstracts and/or attend.

SEEC 2011 homepage: http://gump.auburn.edu/seec2011/ Early registration for this year’s conference will be $25.00 before February 11th and covers meeting attendance, two continental breakfasts, dinner/social Saturday evening, snacks, coffee, and a t-shirt!   After February 11th the registration fee will be $35.00 up to the day of the conference.  Awards for both the best oral and poster presentations will be given.  There will also be tables from sponsors, including publishers, supply companies, and other organizations (see our web site for a complete list of sponsors).  The abstract submission deadline is March 11, 2011, and may be completed at the following web site:

http://fs22.formsite.com/SEEC2011/form1/index.html
We are pleased to announce that Sunday’s keynote speaker is Dr. Alan Wilson, who organized the first Southeastern Ecology & Evolution Conference in 2004.  Dr. Alan Wilson received his Ph.D. in Applied Biology from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 2006.  After spending a year as a research investigator at the Cooperative Institute for Limnology and Ecosystems Research (CILER) jointly housed at the University of Michigan and NOAA’s Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory (GLERL), Alan joined the faculty at Auburn University (AU) as a tenure-track Assistant Professor in 2007.  He is jointly appointed in the Departments of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures & Biological Sciences.  Alan is a community ecologist whose research interests revolve around the ecological mechanisms mediating harmful freshwater algal blooms.  He is particularly interested in understanding how within-species genetic and phenotypic variation influences
 community structure and ecosystem function.  Alan is also initiating projects aimed at understanding how toxic algal blooms influence human and livestock health.  You can learn more about Alan’s research at http://wilsonlab.com/
Auburn University is located in downtown Auburn, Alabama and is convenient to numerous hotels, restaurants, and bars (to see what’s happening in Auburn, check out these siteswww.oanews.com, www.thecornernews.com and www.auburnalabama.org).  Registration, abstract submission, travel/lodging information, and contact information may all be found at the SEEC web site:  http://gump.auburn.edu/seec2011

Please help us spread the word about SEEC by forwarding this message to any students, colleagues, departments, colleges, or schools that you think might be interested in attending SEEC this year!  SEEC flyers are also available on the SEEC homepage and we strongly encourage posting these in conspicuous locations.

We look forward to seeing you at Auburn University for the 8th Annual Southeastern Ecology and Evolution Conference this March!

SEEC Organizing Committee
Kathleen M. Morrow
Ph.D candidate
Morrokm at auburn.edu