[Coral-List] Lionfish invasion

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 14:55:00 EST 2011

 A lot of issues seem to be involved with this so-called, "invasion" which is a term that I find disconcerting.  The lionfish did not invade our waters, they were introduced by humans who apparently lacked the common sense to realize what the possible consequences could be.  I know also that some folks claim that the initial release was brought about as the result of Hurricane Andrew destroying a private aquarium containing lionfish-- anectodal information too, I might add.  The fact is, as many of you have pointed out, is that the lionfish are here to stay, and we can only hope that nature will adapt, she has a pretty damn good record of doing so!  This also underscores the need for education and outreach programs aimed at people who buy exotic pets; something that requires more regulation, but I doubt that this would do much good as long as their is money to made by someone!  It is a sad fact Jim, and I agree with you 100 percent, perhaps some day we
 will recognize the consequences of our actions, until that occurs, we will continue to experience these types of behaviors from humans, and we will continue to upset nature's balance that was in pretty good shape until we came along!

Rudy S Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief
631 Greene Street