[Coral-List] Mutton snapper eating lionfish in Roatan (Todd Barber)

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Jan 26 10:18:20 EST 2011

Hi John,

Actually, while it may seem paradoxical, there is logic behind my
suggestions.  What I said was that any interventions require thinking
about long term consequences....something that we must do every day
when building artificial reefs, rehabilitating coral reefs, planting
mangrove stands, and creating oyster reefs.  And believe me, when we
do interventions we use large teams of experts guided by a team
process with consideration for all the goals of a particular project
with an emphasis on long term consequences.

We all have to make these choices....and it's especially important to
do so in situations where humans are at fault for the problem in the
first place (as is the case with Lionfish and most of the degradation
of our world's reef ecosystems).  There are limited resources to
offset human impacts (which is why the debate on Lionfish is important
as there comes a point where we must accept the consequences of our
human impacts and admit it's to costly to control them).

I should also point out to be fair that we don't "profit" from our
rehabilitation and restoration efforts....Reef Ball Foundation is a
public non-profit organization tasked with oceanic ecosystem work.

And I will also point out that all my comments on the Coral List are
my personal opinions based on a lifetime of working in the sea and I
post for people learn, be critical and make their own choices of what
works best for the particular problems they face.

When I said that "it's better to let mother nature adapt in a natural
way" I was making a personal value judgment....and I really believe
that we cannot afford to control Lionfish to any significant level
with current technology.  I hope I am wrong BUT I have a deep
understanding of the life cycle and behaviors of Lion Fish and due to
a gelatinous spawning behavior and their ability to adapt to a wide
variety of depths, temperatures and other conditions I believe
physical control is practically impossible. (The only hope would be
some sort of introduced genetic manipulation or lionfish specific
pathogen both of which are likely too dangerous to attempt in the wild
with current technologies).

That's just my opinion and I really hope somebody will prove me wrong.

-Todd Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation

Thanks,

Todd R Barber