[Coral-List] Mutton snapper eating lionfish in Roatan (Todd Barber)

Dr. C. Mark Eakin mark.eakin at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 27 08:58:47 EST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 11:47 AM, Jason Krumholz wrote:

> History also shows us that if we change the fish's name to something
> appetizing, it speeds the development of the fishery (e.g. Patagonian
> toothfish = Chilean seabass)... so here's to all efforts to aid the emerging
> fishery for Caribbean striped grouper.

On the day the first lionfish was found in Key West, Billy Causey and I dreamed up "Frilled Hogfish".  Perhaps we have the divers call them "Coral Devils" per Paul's Dutch name and we market them as "Frilled Hogfish" in the markets?

Cheers,
Mark

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136
301-502-8608 mobile

"We know what needs to be done.  We know that our planet's future depends on a global commitment to permanently reduce greenhouse gas pollution."
Barack Obama, Sep. 22 2009