[Coral-List] Lionfish matters

Steve LeGore slegore at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 27 16:08:44 EST 2011

What is the problem with calling them Lionfish?  I think it is a perfect name.  It's just a marketing issue.  If they are promoted for their mythical qualities as an aphrodisiac and cure for male impotence, e.g. "It will make you feel like a LION KING!" no male tourist will fail to consume at least one -- if just to enable him to tell the story back home whether he believes the hype or not.  The “toxic” spines just add to the sense of danger and adventure.  That's better, I think, than falsely labeling them a "grouper."  Effective marketing could even enable inflated "tourist" prices, enhancing the profitability and hence effectiveness of the fishery.