[Coral-List] New tool for lionfish invasion

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 12:26:14 EDT 2011

We use a similar spear at Reef Relief, however it is important to remember that people need to understand that physical contact with the reef needs to be avoided at all costs.  It looks as though diver in the video is coming into physical contact with the substrate via the spear!  This should be part of the educational component that is--- teaching people using tools like this to avoid any physical contact with corals and other benthos.  Sometimes we do more harm than good regardless of our good intentions.

Rudy S Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief
631 Greene Street