[Coral-List] ICRS mini-symposium: Cell and Molecular Biology of Symbiosis

Alexander Venn alexandervenn at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 03:53:24 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

We're very pleased to announce our mini-symposium entitled “Cell and Molecular
Biology of Symbiosis” at the 2012 International Coral Reef Symposium, to be held
in Cairns, Australia in July 2012. This mini-symposium forms part of Symposium 6
(“Physiology and Functional Biology”). It will focus on the cellular and
molecular basis of the cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbiosis, especially with
regards to symbiosis establishment, stasis and breakdown, though submissions
about other coral-microbial symbioses will also be considered (see below for
further details).

Abstracts are due from 1 July – 1 October.  Please submit your abstract via the
ICRS website, http://www.icrs2012.com. [Note: only one abstract per presenting
author is permitted across the conference].

If you have questions about the suitability of your abstract, please contact us
directly:

Chair:  Simon Davy (simon.davy at vuw.ac.nz)
Co-chairs: Alex Venn (alex at centrescientifique.mc); Virginia Weis
(weisv at science.oregonstate.edu)

Mini-symposium 6a - Cell and Molecular Biology of Symbiosis:

Elucidation of coral host/dinoflagellate symbiont interactions at the cellular
and molecular levels remains a major challenge. Current lack of knowledge
hampers our understanding of reef ecology and symbiosis dysfunction under
environmental stress. This mini-symposium builds on a successful mini-symposium
at the previous ICRS and will ensure that this topic remains a primary focus. We
will address cellular and molecular aspects of the three key phases of
cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbiosis: 1) Establishment; 2) Stasis; 3) Breakdown.
Some important questions relating to these phases include: How do symbiotic
partners recognize one another? By what means do symbiont cells proliferate
through host tissues? How are metabolites transported across the host-symbiont
interface? What cellular signals induce corals to expel their symbionts during
bleaching? Submissions that address these and similar questions in
cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbioses are encouraged. We also encourage submissions
that consider interactions between corals and other microbes, especially where
they inform our broader understanding of coral immunity and coral holobiont
biology.
Alexander Venn
Chargé de Recherche / Research Scientist
Centre Scientifique de Monaco
http://www.centrescientifique.mc/csmuk/cv/venn.php