[Coral-List] Coral Larvae Settlement on Glass

Delbeek, Charles CDelbeek at calacademy.org
Fri Jul 8 15:06:02 EDT 2011

Coralline algae will colonize the glass pretty quickly and coral larvae would then settle on the coralline. I have also had coral larvae from P. damicornis and brooders like Favia settle onto clean glass. The trick would be to prevent the bottles from getting buried. The other issue would be stability, I don't know how stable a pile of baskets filled with bottles would be.

J. Charles Delbeek, M.Sc.
Assistant Curator, Steinhart Aquarium
California Academy of Sciences

p 415.379.5303
f. 415.379.5304
cdelbeek at calacademy.org
www.calacademy.org

55 Music Concourse Dr.
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco CA 94118

Prepare to be charmed. Snakes & Lizards: The Summer of Slither runs through Labor Day.