[Coral-List] Coral Larvae Settlement on Glass

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Fri Jul 8 11:12:41 EDT 2011

Reef Ball Foundation has often used glass bottles inside of Reef Balls
(with just the opening exposed otherwise fully encased with concrete),
and have found that they make excellent habitat for octopus lairs when
the bottle is angled downward (so that it does not fill up with sand).

Additionally, crushed glass can be used as a type of aggregate in concrete.

We don't recommend bottles to be used alone without some form of
additional long term anchorage and protection from breakage which
could create sharp glass which might be a hazard to divers or beach
goers.

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation