[Coral-List] Job opening with The Nature Conservancy
jeber at TNC.ORG
Sat Jul 9 16:20:01 EDT 2011
Work for The Nature Conservancy as an Operations Manager
The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is a leading conservation organization
working globally to protect ecologically important lands and waters for
people and nature. Located 1,000 miles south of Hawai'i and an untold
distance from civilization, Palmyra Atoll is one of the most spectacular
marine wilderness areas on Earth. Palmyra is a 680-acre atoll with
480,000 acres of lagoons, coral reefs, and submerged lands. Palmyra is
a US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) Refuge out to 12 miles and a
Marine National Monument out to 50 miles. TNC owns Cooper Island, and
manages the atoll in partnership with the USFWS. TNC's research station
supports scientific research by world renowned research institutions.
The Nature Conservancy is looking for an Operations Manager to be
responsible for ensuring that all operations of the remote research
station are conducted in a safe and efficient manner, and are done in
compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Oversight includes
smooth running of the facility, and maintenance of buildings and
equipment. This position will be based out of our Honolulu, HI office.
Please complete an online application at www.nature.org/careers
<http://www.nature.org/careers> and upload a resume and cover letter as
one document. Cover letter must clearly articulate how you meet the
basic qualifications listed. Deadline to apply is 5:00pm HST July 22,
The successful candidate must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid
Passport, proof of a physical examination showing good physical health,
and a current tetanus vaccination. In addition, TNC requires staff
travelling to Palmyra to obtain membership in an Emergency Evacuation
Primary job responsibilities include:
* Ensures continuity of operations and facility management
between rotations by Palmyra program staff.
* Works with Program staff to develop and ensure all Station
Standard Operating Procedures, Protocols and Guidelines are implemented,
up to date, and organized.
* Identifies and prioritizes maintenance needs and implements
long term maintenance and facilities plan for the research station.
* Works closely with Program Director and others on recruiting
and hiring of staff.
* Ensures all TNC Station staff members have applicable training
* Develops and cultivates professional skills in staff.
* Develops and implements embraced solutions to program
* Provides clear example of collaborative leadership for island
* Makes purchases and tracks expenditures according to the
approved budget. Creates budget analysis as needed to keep the Palmyra
program Director and the PARC members informed on expenses and budget
* Assists with invoice payments and reimbursements, and manages
expense tracking for the Palmyra program.
* Coordinates contract development with legal department, tracks
progress on contracts and processes payments.
* Assists Coordinator and Program Director with research station
logistics including communicating with travelers about trip
requirements, processing required paperwork, making plane and research
station reservations, and provisioning/packing of aircraft.
* Provides periodic updates on research station operations and
* Maintains a collaborative relationship with USFWS and PARC
through interaction with the USFWS Refuge Manager and PARC members.
* Identifies volunteer needs for Palmyra program and solicits,
screens, and selects suitable volunteers.
* Maintains a flexible schedule to include possible mainland
travel, some weekend and evening work, and travel to Palmyra to assure
proper operation of the research station, and to maintain relationships
with TNC staff, FWS staff, PARC members and others.
* Provides leadership role to atoll staff.
Required basic qualification:
* BA/BS degree in science, engineering, or related field and 5
years experience in facilities mgmt or program operations mgmt or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively manage staff remotely in
an inclusive and empowering manner.
* Advanced working knowledge and understanding of equipment
maintenance and infrastructure systems (marine, energy, water, sewage,
* Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including
staffing, workloads, finances, transportation and other logistics.
* Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint to keep track of
calendars, financial data, and other information.
* Experience communicating directions or tasks and collaborating
with a team of people to ensure that goals are met and projects
More information about the Coral-List